Rustenburg in the North West province of South Africa, is located close to Johannesburg and Pretoria. Rustenburg is an entertainment hub, situated close to the Sun City resort. This city has the largest Platinum mine in the world. It also boasts beautiful scenery and cultural heritage.
Rustenburg, North West Province, South Africa
Rustenburg is situated northwest of Johannesburg, at the foot of the Magaliesberg Mountains in a malaria free area
. It's one of the oldest and most attractive towns in this region and sometimes referred to as Platinum City.
The city in Northwest province has been a place of escape to weary Gauteng residents for years, being only an hour away. Visitors can enjoy the Rustenburg Ramble which has a number of craft galleries, farm stalls and eateries
along the way. The Waterfall Mall is the shopping hub in Rustenburg.
The Lost City is opulent and exotic, an architectural marvel set in beautiful lush botanic gardens and forests. This luxury fantasy palace is combined with a themed water park, Valley of the Waves and the volcanic Bridge of Time. Sun City operates a wide variety of outdoor adventures and game drives in the malaria free Pilanesberg Game Reserve and National Park.
Pilanesberg is the fourth largest game park in Southern Africa with 10 000 fascinating animals including the Big Five game. The park contains a 1200 million year old extinct alkaline volcanic crater
- one of just 3 on the planet.
There are numerous attractions in and around Rustenburg with plenty of nature and game reserves to visit. Visitors can see 13 types of antelope including Oribi, Kudu and Sable Antilope
as well as many bird species in the Rustenburg Nature Reserve. Also in the area is the Kgaswane Mountain Reserve, a great picnic and hiking destination with self-drive routes on tarred roads and view sites. The picnic areas have barbeque sites also.
Areas of interest close to Rustenburg, South Africa
Surrounded by the Magaliesberg Mountain Range, Hartebeespoort Dam is an all round holiday destination
offering various sporting activities, water sports and adventure activities. Other top attractions include an aquarium, private zoo, a snake park and a cableway.
Magaliesburg Village is a quaint and historic village in picturesque surroundings with indigenous woodland, valleys and rivers
. Some of the green roofed buildings date back to the 1800s. Visitors will find country lodges, stores, art and craft and working farms. In the area, there is the Blaaubank Historical Gold Mine, one of the oldest still functioning.
The Sun City Resort Complex is the "Vegas" of South Africa
, a resort with entertainment for everyone. Sun City has an incredible array of recreational and sporting facilities as well as exceptional venues for dazzling shows. Visitors can choose from a variety of restaurants and eateries or court lady luck in the casinos. To get around the resort there is a Sky Train which stops at different destinations within the complex.
- Waterfall Shopping Mall and Rustenburg Ramble
- The Rustenburg Museum in the Town Hall
- Historic buildings, churches, monuments and houses
- Nature Reserves - Rustenburg, Kgaswane, Vaalkop, Borakalalo
Hartebeespoort Dam Attractions
- The Elephant Sanctuary
- Maropeng, Cradle of Humankind, World Heritage Site
- Lesedi Cultural Village
- Sterkfontein Caves
- De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Centre
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve
- Snake and animal park
- Horse trails
- Restaurants, cafes, pubs
- Country and Western Saloon
- Welwitschia Country Market
- Citrus wine and liqueur tasting
- Cheese making tour, restaurant and picnics
- Art and craft shops
- Cableway ride
- Sightseeing and enjoying country hospitality
- Blaaubank Historic Gold Mine tour
- Horse and mountain bike trails
- Canopy Tours, zip lines, abseiling
- Quad biking and paintball - Hekpoort Valley
Sun City and Lost City attractions
- Exceptional recreational and sporting facilities for all ages
- Two 18 hole golf courses and Gary Player Country Club
- Bars, restaurants, food court, cafés, snack bars
- Entertainment, movies, gambling, shopping, cultural village
- Outdoor adventures, zip slide, quad biking, horse riding and more
- Pilanesberg Game Reserve - game drives, walks, quads, Lion Park